September 17, Tuesday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov was called into question the findings of a UN report that confirmed a chemical weapons attack in Syria that killed hundreds of people last month, suggesting the event was a “provocation” by anti-regime forces and calling for a wider investigation.
After a meeting in Moscow with French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius, Lavrov’s comments were made and these represent Russia’s first public reaction to the report.
It was released on Monday. It determinedly established the use of chemical weapons however stopped short of passing on blame.
After what Russia has gone trough criticism for its perceived sheltering of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime, it has repeatedly rebuffed Western allegations that his government deployed chemical weapons.
“We have the most serious grounds to believe this was a provocation,” Lavrov said, according to the RIA Novosti state news agency. “And some of our partners have unequivocally stated that only the regime could have used chemical weapons, but the truth must be established.”
He added that there was no information about where the weapons were made, and insisted on an "impartial, objective, professional investigation of the events of August 21."
It is just then, Lavrov said, should a course of action be decided in the UN Security Council, where Russia has blocked several Western resolutions on action over the crisis.
Additional reports from GlobalPost: Elton John to play Moscow concert despite Russia's anti-gay law.
Previous weekend, a negotiation between Lavrov and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry about a plan to transfer Syria’s chemical weapons to international control and have them destroyed within a year.
Some observers have showed doubt over the plan, with their opinion that the sheer manpower it requires makes it unrealistic.